Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Waterton 9.7.09 to 9.8.09

Waterton was my favorite place we visited!  I loved it when I was younger and I loved it all over again!  I have fond memories of this place!  And so I was so happy to create even more memories.

Quent putting the last tent stakes in.  We definitely needed them because it was super windy the entire time we were there!

I took a little walk by myself to the lake shore.  I would say there were at least 50 mph gusts of wind. It was crazy!

I'm not sure what the temperature was, but it was probably in the upper 40's.  But it didn't stop us from getting ice cream!  There seemed to be a light mist from time to time, and lots of wind.  But there were clear skies far from the mountains.

We were walking along the shore when I saw a double rainbow.  I shouted out my excitement and Quent was like, "What rainbow?"  I was like, "Right over there!"  "What rainbow?  I don't see it."  At this point I thought his almost 30-year old eyes were needing to be checked.  But the reason he didn't see it was because he had his polarizing sunglasses on.  We laughed!

One of the memories that really stands out to me about Waterton was visiting the candy store.  When I was younger I remember getting a grape licorice rope and eating it along the shore.  I was so happy to see that they still have the candy shoppe.  We didn't get any sweet treats though.

Another fond memory was eating at a restaurant my dad and Kelly took us to.  I couldn't remember the name of it, but when I saw it I knew it was the place.  It's called Zum's.  I remembered the checkered tablecloths.  It's funny the things I remember.  I remember my dad and Kelly wanting to order some special berry pie...

And there it is!  It was AWESOME!!  (Dad and Kelly, I thought of you during every delicious bite!)

Early the next morning Quent and Pat hiked up the trail to some lake that I don't recall the name of.  I was not interested in this hike because my memory remembered how much I disliked it and wanted to cry.  Ha!  I probably would have felt the same way if I had went again.  Quent agreed that it was difficult.  You don't know what switchbacks are until you hike this trail!


It was well worth the hike.  Cool temperatures and wind prevailed.  In fact, I was getting spray on my camera lens even this far away from the water.  Those long exposures sure help calm the water.  Oh, there was fresh snow on the peaks but it quickly melted as the sun hit it. 

This was Christina's choice for a large print that will be hanging in our house. 

Flowers and grasses blowing in the breeze. 

About 50+ windmills line the left horizon - at least in the full size version of this image - as the sun kisses the prairie on our hike down from the lake shown in the photos above.


Quent thought it would be cool to snap this photo before we left Waterton.  The business behind me in the photo was Pat's auto service.  And since we were with Pat...well, he just had to take the picture.  (Do you notice my ponytail in the breeze?)

I didn't want to leave Waterton.  I hope to go back again someday.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome scenery. Thanks for getting them up Christina!
    Nanc in WRG

    ReplyDelete