Thursday, February 25, 2010

Highline Trail 9.5.09

In the morning we drove to the visitor's center at the top of Logan's Pass and started hiking on the Highline trail.  At first there were clouds and some sprinkles, but after awhile it cleared up and got quite warm.

I think this was the snowball that creamed me. Needless to say, Christina was ecstatic.

Pat and Sara let me borrow back my old 100-400mm lens for this shot.  Thanks!  I'm even more thankful that they carried it for the entire trip while I reaped the reward of their efforts. 

After about 7 miles or so we made it to the Granite Park Chalet, elevation 6694 feet.  We were happy to rest our feet for awhile.

Quent volunteered to leave first and try to catch the last bus going up Logan's Pass to get the vehicle so he could pick us up at the loop.  I felt bad because I didn't have a backpack, so Pat carried my water and snacks.  The hike down was beautiful.  The conversation was wonderful.  But my toes sure did take the heat of the decline.  Three months after our trip I actually lost a toenail because of this hike down.  (Sorry, was that too much information?)  My toes were pretty beat up after this hike.  It explains why I didn't want to hike for a few days after this.

We are so glad Quent made it in time for the bus.  We probably made it down to the loop 45 minutes to an hour after Quent did.  We waited a short time and then Quent picked us up.  We drove back to West Glacier and showered at a KOA campground.  It was at this point where I thought I had lost my sunglasses on the trail.  I panicked because it was the first expensive pair of sunglasses I've ever owned.  We found them in the back of the vehicle and Pat helped me put them back together (thankfully no permanent damage was done).  I found this humorous because I have an older pair of sunglasses that I used to try to purposely destroy, but they just won't die.  I know...so weird!

That night we enjoyed pizza at a restaurant in West Glacier!

No comments:

Post a Comment