Thursday, April 16, 2009

More Wind


Anthony and the sled we dubbed the "Unicorn" heads up river in the bright sunshine.


I stopped for a quick break to get my camera out and take a couple photos at the end of the cutoff slough. We had just gone through about a half mile stretch where there was very little wind and it felt so nice. However, rounding the corner into the main river resulted in a blast of cold wind that was most unwelcome. The wind was even stronger than before.


Every little speck of loose snow had long since blown away. The wind was tremendous. We estimate that we were bucking 50mph winds through the last couple miles of the river. It was unreal. I was very thankful to be wearing goggles and felt sorry for the guys who didn't have their face protected.


After the sun set we had a beautiful pink glow in the sky. The glow slowly rose and a deep blue filled the space underneath it. Soon after stars began to appear and I started to get tired. I kept my feet moving and tried to stay within sight of Bob as the darkness fell. Finally I saw him drop his sled and start walking toward the cabin. What a welcome sight! I stayed by his sled and waited for him to reappear but after waiting a little while in the wind I could stand it no longer and went looking for him. Come to find out he had to look around for the cabin and upon finding it, he discovered that the lock was frozen. So he poured warm water on the lock and was able to get the padlock off. Then as he attempted to open the door it wouldn't budge. So he slammed into it. Still nothing. (Remember 50mph winds, bare hands trying to get the door unlocked, water, and cold) Getting a little more determined he started throwing his body against the door but then noticed that the hinges on the top of the door was starting the show signs of weakness. That could only mean that the door was being blocked by something on the bottom. Getting as low as he could he threw his body against the door with all the force he could muster and after a few attempts the door finally broke open.

Needless to say, Bob was justifiably sore the next day. I still owe him.

When I got to the cabin the door was open but I had to hurry to get some warmer clothes on because I was getting cold way too quickly. My -15F sleeping bag had never felt nicer.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment