Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Camping Out


I skied away from camp to get a better view of Castle Mountain in the evening light. Instead I ended up getting a better view of the cloud that surrounded Castle Mountain. So I turned my attention to camp. The little runnels that are visible in the foreground are actually part of a huge iceberg that I climbed up for a better vantage point. Just to my right was a 30 to 35 foot drop to lake level. About 1/10 of an iceberg sticks out above the water, right? (true) The camp was situated at lake level next to a much smaller iceberg. This would be our home for the next three nights.


A sign of things to come.


Before the sun hit the tents Bob and I headed toward Shakes glacier while Anthony and Matt went up the Castle Mountain valley to see what they missed earlier. I climbed an iceberg to get this view. Anthony was kind enough to loan his skis and boots to Bob for the trip over to the glacier.


Decked out in glacier gear, Bob makes tracks across the scenic Shakes Glacier.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment