Saturday, April 11, 2009

Leaving the Lake


It was finally time to got back to the warmth of the cabin. The weather pattern changed as well which helped convince us that it was time to go back to our base camp. The overcast kept dropping as the day wore on. This particular photo is of the creek flowing into Shakes Lake from which we got our water.


Anthony and I decided to hike up a side valley near the lake just to see what was there. It was pretty impressive. We decided that if the valley was in the Midwest it would be a wonder of the world but in Alaska it was just another valley. It did have some monster ice and about 4000' of near very steep (too steep for snow to cling to) walls. On the way out I walked right up to this ptarmigan. She (I think) kindly posed for a number of photographs. I love those feet! I wish I could grow feathers on my feet during the winter. 'Till then I'll just make due with my down filled slippers.


The "Cedar Shack" was anchored upstream from Shakes Cabin just a quarter mile or so.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment