Monday, March 29, 2010

Starry Night 2.18.10


Decided to spend the night on top of Deer Mountain. It was a lovely but somewhat windy evening. I dug a flat spot and created a little berm to provide some protection from the wind. I had my cold weather bag so I actually got too hot during the night. If it looks like there is a gap in the star trails, well, there is. The action I used to stack all the images apparently skipped one.


I got up a little bit before dawn and looked around to see if there was an aurora since that was one of the primary reasons I picked this spot. Naturally, I managed to have my camera pointed in the wrong direction for most of the night (see previous photo [who wants to look at an ugly guy in a sleeping bag anyway]), but I was alert enough, even in the wee hours of the morning to hop over to my camera, change my battery, re-compose a scene with the aurora included and hop back to my Thermarest. Why the hopping? It was cold outside and I didn't want to get out of my sleeping bag!


This is the same as the photo above with a few more frames added. The relatively bright horizon quickly washed out the light from the aurora.


Ketchikan.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment