Friday, November 30, 2012

Spur of the moment ride 11.21.12

I'm a planner by nature.  I don't do well with spontaneity.  I know...what's wrong with me, right?  So when Nate called Quent and asked if we wanted to go on a helicopter ride in 20 minutes, my immediate response was, "I don't have any desire to ride in a helicopter."  I know....  I can hear you all gasping.  I'm terrible with last-minute, spur of the moment decisions.  Nate is a helicopter mechanic for Temsco, so this would be a free ride.  After some convincing on Quent's part (and some help from Annie), I gave in to the pressure.  And so we went...

Yours truly in front of our ride.

I liked it right away...of course!  I got to sit in the front next to the pilot.  Quent and Nate sat in the back.

The Mendenhall Glacier below us.  We flew over the ice fields.  Or is it just singular "field"?  It was amazing! Beautiful!  I'm SO glad I went!!



The flat part is the field.


Mendenhall...this picture is out of order.


This was my favorite part (above).  They are called seracs.  I wish I could give you dimensions of these deep grooves in the ice.  Trust me when I say they are big and deep!  And a beautiful blue!

Heading back toward town.

At one point I started feeling motion sickness, even though it was a smooth ride.  And then after Quent asked me to take a picture with his camera one time I really had to hold it together.  Later on Nate said that he couldn't tell if I was having fun or not.  I told him that I was trying to focus on not getting sick.  Ha!  I truly enjoyed the 1 hour ride!  People, Alaska is amazing!  AMAZING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment