Monday, December 06, 2010

Row, Row, Row your boat 9.3.10

And we were off to the races...



We had done a lot of practicing in our canoe in Ketchikan, plus I've done some paddling over the years, but it was still like an unknown. When we asked our friend Bob Lippert for any advice about paddling the river (since he had done it before) he said to not take the river for granted because it is very powerful. So I started off with this deep respect for the river's mighty power. As the hours passed, I became more and more comfortable with paddling. It felt like second-nature. My arms never really got tired. Shortly after these first pictures were taken we came upon the riffles. We kept on hearing that the roughest part of the water on this stretch of the Stikine was right after Telegraph. When we got to the riffles, we both got down on our knees for better balance and we fought our way through the water. I honestly think it could have been a little bit more rough. I was having FUN! I would giggle and I almost wanted to say, "Let's do it again!" The water was pretty low, so it wasn't as rough as when the water is higher.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment