Monday, December 21, 2009

Deer Mountain Cabin


Well folks, it won't be long and you'll be tired of the title "Deer Mountain Cabin." Deer Mountain is the backyard mountain with some good skiing in the right conditions AND it has a wonderful little cabin. In other words, the "North Wrangell High Country Shelter" of Ketchikan but a lot more plush. This was my first trip up the mountain and I decided to make it an over-nighter just for fun. The weather wasn't all that great but the greens were lovely, especially if you were coming from outside SE AK.


This is actually the morning after my stay in the cabin. If you look closely, you should be able to make out the A-frame outhouse. The outhouse has seen better days, hopefully the recreation group will find a way to replace it. hint, hint :-) This day was much nicer than the evening before when the wind was blowing 40+ mph. The wind may have been a bit stronger than that. I tried every trick I knew to start the stove and keep it going but nothing worked (very strong back draft). It wasn't really that cold but it was cool enough that when the wind became calm the following morning, I was happy to start the stove and enjoy its warmth.


The cabin interior. Excellent workmanship. I was very impressed with the quality construction. Not a leak in the place even with driving rain. I even had the honor of being the first person to sign the log book after they completed the interior and placed the log book on the table.



Another angle of the cabin interior and the Xtratufs that got me there. For the camera folks out there, I brought a couple flashes with me to illuminate the interior. I was hoping to bounce the flash around but the wood was too red and gave the interior a noticable tint.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment