Saturday, December 19, 2009

A Different View


I've frequently seen Castle Mountain from its valley below, from a distant mountain, from the air between Petersburg and Wrangell but never have I laid my eyes on the mountain's north face until now. I only took a couple photos of the mountain because I was simply in awe of the scale... That and we flew close enough to the back wall of the mountain that I felt like I could stick my hand out the window and touch the rock. The sense of scale was on a level I had not felt before. I was awestruck. This photo isn't quite Castle Mountain proper, simply a small peak nearby hiding the true peak.


I did manage to fire the camera a few times. Castle and its turrets break through the ice encrusted north face.


A saddle. Castle is on the right and this was one of the routes we had eyed during the winter. Well, the actual chute is hidden from this angle. Pretty daunting.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment