Monday, August 13, 2007

Down the Mountain

The early morning sunshine illuminates Farm Island and the Stikine River delta. It was so windy in the exposed spot I chose to sleep that I had to make sure to either physically hold everything down, stuff things in my sleeping bag with me, or put large rocks on my gear. I even held my pillow for fear it would blow away. I could feel the breeze through my sleeping bag so obviously it didn't do much to keep me warm but it did slow the wind down considerably. All that so I could watch a lightning storm on the horizon and at the same time watch the meteor showner.
The trip down the mountains was quite challenging. I had a brief scare as I slipped on a steep, narrow, snow-filled chute that could have had an unpleasant ending. But I managed to grab a very small alder and at the same time jam my foot up against a rock while sliding on my back just as my 94 lbs of gear and I were beginning to pick up momentum. Whew! Had to thank God for well placed alder and rock after that experience. I ended up lowering my pack with rope to a safer spot and carefully following it and then deciding that any more attempts to go down the chute would be foolish.
Merlin makes his way under a snowpack. We ended up canoeing a couple miles (with a few portages) before arriving at a sandbar near the Twin Lakes cabin where we were picked up for our ride back to town. Wow! What a great trip!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I look at the pictures on Wunderphoto and found your blog. You and your wife keep enjoying life. I really enjoyed your blog.
    I have hiked the Grand Canyon ten times. Twice rim to rim. Never camped, always stayed at Phantom Ranch. My last time was in April at age 74. I did it alone for the first and enjoyed it. Probably my last time. I've been bicycling the last ten years mostly on rail trails. Our group's website is FMCPT.com. Thanks for your blog. Gene Pass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gene, thank you for your wonderful compliment. We certainly are enjoying life and it sounds like you are as well. I sure hope I'll be doing extensive hikes when I'm 74.

    -Quent

    ReplyDelete