Thursday, August 02, 2007

Deer Hunting


Good bye sun. As amazing as it may seem, after the sun set the horizon stayed bright until and different layers of clouds would light up at different times for over an hour. I slept in this spot and watched the horizon from my sleeping bag (didn't bring a tent).


This picture was taken about 15 minutes after the previous shot.
After I fell asleep I woke up a little after 1am to blazing moonlight with the sunset colors still on the horizon. About 3am the horizon starting getting a lot brighter and there was a sunrise similar to this sunset. Another interesting note, the sunset and sunrise at this time of the year are only about 90 degrees apart from each other. In other words, the sun sets in the northwest and rises in the northeast.


I thought this little tree was pretty cool. Unfortunatly it is kind of hard to see. This would be a nice early morning picture if I ever get motivated enough to get here early.


Hmmm... This should help motivate me to come to this spot more often. This guy appeared just a little after taking the previous picture. He was the smallest of the five bucks in this area. I thought long and hard about shooting one of the big ones as well but I was concerned about keeping the meat fresh because I had a long hike ahead of me and I think two deer would have been a little too much. As it was I struggled down the hill with just the meat (and ice, and camping gear) from this guy. I weighed my pack after I returned home and it tipped the scales at 93lbs. Add my 10 lb rifle to that and you get a 103 pound load. Good thing I shot the little one.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment