Saturday, February 24, 2007

Snowmobile, Snowshoe, and Ski

I borrowed a kind-hearted coworker's snowmobile to get to the trailhead. At which point I strapped on my snowshoes and hiked and hiked and hiked. Then skied all the way back down to the snowmobile.

I had been hiking three hours and wasn't even half way to where I wanted to be. I thought about hiking a little more before turning around until I saw the sun come out and light up the top as shown in this picture. I decided I had to go up there in the hope that the sun would come out again. It did, just as I crested the top several hours later. Perfect timing.

Had this overcast sky and flurries all day until I reached the top.

The snow was deep. Between 26-30 inches of fluffly powder everytime I measured it in the flats. Even with snowshoes on I would sink down 16-20 inches (knee deep). In areas like this I cut across the slope through waist deep powder. The five minutes of skiing through this section was incredible. It made the trip.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment