Friday, December 22, 2017

Leaves :: 10.29.17

Words cannot describe just how happy I was to have autumn arrive!  And leaves!  Colored, beautiful fall leaves!  We have a couple of maples trees in our yard that showed off some glorious color.


Not sure if you can spot them, but there are little white dots in this photo.  Those are the smoky-winged aphids that apparently hatch in the fall each year.  I was NOT happy to have these around.  There were literally millions of these little buggers flying around each day for weeks.  I was so happy that it was fall and cooler temps (an no more smoke) and then these hatched.  They are attracted to ash trees (which we have one of in our front yard).  I took a video that I will have to upload some time to show just how many there were.  They totally grossed me out!  I avoided the outdoors as much as possible during this time.  I'm not sure what to think of Idaho: the heat, the smoke, the very dry climate in the summer, and these evil, disgusting aphids. They finally went away after a good frost or two.





No comments:

Post a Comment