Sunday, June 25, 2017

Just a regular day :: 5.18.17

I love being home with the kids.  There are days and moments when it's really challenging, but it's all worth it.  I'm thankful for these little ones.  And I'm really thankful to have the opportunity to homeschool.  Jeralyn is just about to finish up her Kindergarten year and I'm so pleased with how well things are going.  She's learning to read and can even read some stories all on her own.  She flew through her first math book and we started the next math 2/3 through her year.  It's been fun to watch her grow and learn.  She is becoming less interested in princesses, and more interested in other things, like dinosaurs, bees, and horses.  She says she wants to take an art class.  We've been doing nature journals together and it's been really fun to watch her drawing the different things we read about that are "nature" things, like flowers, animals, leaves, trees, etc.  

A lot of people wonder about our choice to homeschool.  I have a few reasons to why we have chosen to go this path for their education, but one of the main reasons that I see naturally occurring (that I hadn't really thought of before) is the bonding and relationship-building that is taking place.  Homeschooling is a commitment I take very seriously.

Jeralyn really enjoys listening to audio books.  Some of her favorite stories include the Hengry Huggins and Ramona series by Beverly Cleary.  We do a lot of reading in this house, which I absolutely love!

Joshua joins us for a lot of the schooling part, but mostly to play with her math blocks, watch the science/math vidoes and when we do "morning time".  I will be starting a very light preschool with him this year (the same I did with Jeralyn at 3-4 years old).

Joel the busy mole is around for "morning time" and then we put him in room time with some music for an hour each morning.  It gives us time to focus on things like our language arts.


No comments:

Post a Comment