Monday, December 21, 2015

One Last Dude Camping Trip 10.2.15

Feeling nostalgic at the end of the year and started flipping through the photos and noticed a few that hadn't made it to the blog.  When October rolled in with blue skies and warm weather, Jeralyn and I headed up to her favorite mountain for one last camping trip.  
Off to the races.  That's Brown Mountain in the background.  




Jeralyn always looks forward to this tent pad where we always take a break and munch on a snack.


The trail's getting rough so I took a few pictures - now just have to write a grant application.


More rough trail, but Jeralyn's pretty good at making her way up.  No big surprise, she's been climbing this herself for half her life.


Jeralyn is getting sure footed.  I no longer walk beside her  on some of these steep sections of single lane trail.

The little climber made it to the top of the boulder next to camp for the first time without assistance.


Bushwhacking.


Firing up the stove.  Shells and cheese with sausage tonight and hot chocolate to top it off.


Another alpine sunset.


I decided to stay up for a while and set up the camera with the fisheye lens as I wandered around and did a bunch of artsy stuff with my headlamp.  Then I went to bed and the aurora show really started to take off.  It was a great display and I was even able to partially awaken Jeralyn to catch some of it.  Unfortunately I failed to actually trigger my controller so all I was left with were a couple test shots.

My first high dynamic range image made with the Adobe Camera Raw software.  This is our regular camping spot on Dude.  I'm perched atop the large boulder seen below.


Watching the sunrise.


No dew!


Looking for caddis or dragon fly larvae.



I brought my "little" 3.5 meter kite along on this trip.  It was windy the entire evening and into the early morning of the next day.  Then the wind died.  I tried flying the kite a little bit but it demanded so much attention that I couldn't grab my camera and fly the kite at the same time.  Should have let Jeralyn do the photography.


Jeralyn loves scrambling all over these rocks.  We played some kind of a hide and seek game where I'd run and try hiding while she would attempt to catch me.  Our fun was heard by everyone who ventured into the mountains that day.


Atop Dude.


View from the top of Dude.  Jeralyn is looking out over Diane and Brown Mountain.  Clarence Straight and then Prince of Wales Island make up the background.  This is also the site of Christina's first alpine camping trip on Revilla Island.  It's a very scenic spot but it's a little boxed in with all the stubby little alpine hemlock growing all around.  

No comments:

Post a Comment