Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Snowy Twin 12.29.2015

Got up early to enjoy another day with some turns before I had to head into work.  Went to the south end of the road system and skinned toward the north Twin Peak.  
I took the the ridge too early and after making it up quite a way we ended up getting stalled out on a small peak that dropped away in all directions.  So we were forced to dropping back down to the road.  The views provided a consolation.  That's Mahoney Mountain reflecting the first light on the horizon.  

A bright half moon shone through the trees as a new friend, Derek, breaks trail on the correct trail.  

Skin tracks in true Southeast Alaska fashion.  

Derek.


The waters of the Pacific lit up nicely in the morning light.  At this point I was really kicking myself for making a wrong turn.  Should have been enjoying this view from the top.  


First rays of the sun burst in the scene.  

Mahoney makes another appearance.  

Finally into the open!  

It has been years since someone has broken the majority of trail in front of me.  Sure made my life a lot easier.  Thank you Derek!  

Bit of a light zipper crust interfered slightly with the powder below.  Still had a great time though.  Didn't take long for me to regret my commitment to be the responsible engineer at the office on this fine day.  

It was as fun as it looks.

Derek is a fellow blogger and his version of the trip can be found here.  

2 comments:

  1. Great pics! Love the star/sunburst scenic.

    I can ski briefly Monday...........then maybe Thursday. Let's get out if it works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Derek! Mondays are usually pretty busy for me. Thursday looks like a possibility but I've got a public meeting at 3pm.

      Delete