Sunday, October 17, 2010

Up, Over, & "lost" 6.4 & 6.5.2010

I dropped the group off at the Silvis Lake trailhead, wished them fun, and then I cruised back home.  They had quite a journey ahead of them, plus some!  They went up the Silvis Lake trail, to the John Mountain trail, back to the Silvis Lake trail, and so on.  The plan was to stay the night at the Deer Mountain cabin.  Around 9:30 pm I got a phone call from Quent and he said they were on the wrong mountain.  "The wrong mountain?"  Oops!  The snow had covered some of the trail markers and they took the wrong turn.  I reminded Quent that he should be so glad I wasn't with them because I do not like those kind of surprises.










Before they all headed to bed, Quent stayed up and dug a small snow cave because he could see rain coming in the distance.  In the middle of the night they all moved into the snow cave.  From what they shared with me, it was small and there was water dripping into the cave and getting their sleeping bags wet.

Yeah, it looks a little wet.

Around 3:30 pm the next day Quent called and said they were at the Deer Mountain cabin.  Natasha was taking a nap.  It sounded like they were pretty exhausted from all of the hiking through the snow.  I'm proud of Natasha.  She's quite the trooper!  I wouldn't have been...  It turned out being about a 16 mile hike.  They made it back down to the Deer Mountain trailhead around 7:00 pm.  I had pizza and a warm/dry house waiting for them.  We decided it would be best to take it easy the rest of their visit with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment