Monday, May 28, 2007

More of Spur



Christina's attempt at another waterfall.


Skunk Cabbage: Why is it called skunk cabbage? One is that it actually smells like skunk. Wrangell doesn't have skunks. (Yeah, I know...) Last year I was walking with a friend and all of a sudden I smelled skunk. I looked over to this little stream of water and there was a cluster of skunk cabbage. Also, in the beginning stages of growth, the plant looks like cabbage. When we first moved here, I thought there was a banana growing out of the ground because it has that banana-yellow color. During the Wrangell High School graduation ceremony this summer, one parent's letter to their graduate told a little story about how the graduate (as a child) had spent some time in the hospital because of eating skunk cabbage like it was corn-on-the-cob. Not a great idea!

A little added tidbit: Wrangell doesn't have crickets or snakes either.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment