Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Ice Cave 7.23.13

For a long time I thought I had added these to the blog but realized recently that these were never added.  Guess that's what happens when I take a few years off of blogging.  These photos are of the Mendenhall Glacier a few years ago.  This particular cave has since collapsed but others are now accessible - or so I hear.  

Part of the impetus for blogging these came from Andrew, a friend of mine who I was climbing with earlier today.  He was telling me about climbing in this area years ago shortly after the glacier had left this rock bare.  

That mountain in the center of the background is Mount Wrather.  Nate and I skied, rock climbed, ice climbed, and boot packed to the top of the peak from the Mendenhall parking lot a few years back and then proceeded to ski down.  

Yipee!  Sunshine on the distant mountains.  And the entrance to the ice cave.  

Another reason I decided to blog these tonight was because I had promised some ice cave pictures to a co-worker and then when I prepared to place them on a USB drive I realized that they were all at the office.  So instead I got stuck blogging them.  Thanks Carol!   



The sculpted and intricate ice caves like this are formed when a section of glacier stops its forward advance and a stream over time hollows out a channel in the stagnant ice and then the "warm" air starts contributing to the melting.  

A bulbous formation.

Ice screw track up close.  


The photographer.  Took a few tries to stay still enough for the long exposure.  

This tributary met a much larger stream ahead and it looks like the ice had collapsed or a crevasse had formed above letting in the light.  

Looking out toward the cave's entrance.  

I should probably mention that ice caves can be dangerous due to collapsing ice.  Human nature dictates that photos must be taken at the entrance/exit of caves.  Unfortunately the thin ice roof at the entrance of the cave also happens to be the most dangerous part of the trip.  So don't succumb to the temptation!  Keep away from the thin ice near the entrance as much as possible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment