Monday, November 09, 2009

A Discovery


I've seen some pretty nice sunsets over the years but this was the first time that I have seen one with mammatus clouds. The mammatus were breaking up by this time but it was certainly a unique sunset. The dark clouds on the left hand side of the frame were bringing heavy rains to Woronkofski and southern Wrangell Island. People in town were being treated to a spectacular light show. Christina and some other neighbors were out on their respective decks cheering on the lightning over Woronkofski.


About this time we made a very unpleasant discovery. The wind died down and the mosquitoes came out with a vengeance.


Another sunset shot. On this and the previous photos, I did a lot of "healing" to make the mosquitoes disappear.


These were just the mosquitoes that were ahead of me. The main cloud of mosquitoes were behind me. At this point were were hustling for the protection of the tent. As Bob and I were preparing for the trip we were discussing the need for a tent. We finally decided that a rain fly would be advisable just in case we got hit with a squall. I almost decided to leave the tent but eventually decided that we should bring it. Whew! We were sure glad that we had mosquito protection.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment