Thursday, August 27, 2009

Fool's Inlet Hike part 1

The hiking club's destination for Saturday, July 11th was Fool's Inlet. Robert Ivy was the leader on this hike. The trail isn't developed, but Robert and his father-in-law Denny Strom had gone through before and broke a trail. On two parts there were ropes to hang onto. Normally the trail is really wet, but because we have had a drier summer, it wasn't so bad. It was probably in the lower to mid 70's. I'm a wimp now with those temperatures, so after while I was ready to be done. It was a gorgeous day though! Quent took a lot of pictures of me hiking. I'm not one to fall while hiking, playing sports, rollerblading, etc., but I sure did some fun things like that on this hike. I fell forward on my knees once, hit my head on a log, walked into a log and got a nice bruise on my thigh (ouch), and once the mud tried to eat me. It was fun! Seriously!




Last year when the hiking club hiked Fool's Inlet I wanted to go, but Quent said that I should have Xtratufs. Being that I refused to purchase such ugly looking boots, I didn't go on the hike. But since we were planning on living in Southeast longer, I finally caved in and bought the ugly things. And I'm SO glad I had them on this hike because I probably would have lost a shoe or a foot if it wasn't for their capability of fighting the slurpy mud. So here I am showing off my Xtratufs. Does this make me a true Alaskan? Oh wait, I was told I'm not a 'true' Alaskan until I eat smoked hooligan...the whole thing...even the head. (I think Mark Pempek or Bill Messmer told me this) So I guess I'll never be a true Alaskan...sigh.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment