Sunday, November 04, 2007

Tent Test


I hiked up to a little knob I like. Part of the way was on the boardwalk. As I hiked up the rain stopped and eventually the sun tried breaking through the fog.


Got to the top...eventually. It took over four hours to get to my final destination but it was well worth it. I set up my tent just as it was getting too dark to see, cooked a nice meal and went to bed. The next morning I started getting cold (must have been in the teens) so I started to add another layer and decided just to get up instead. The northern lights, a crescent moon, and a brilliant night's sky were all waiting to welcome me into their cold domain. I set up the camera a took a couple shots as I prepared breakfast at 4:30am. Unfortunately frost kept attacking the front of my lens, resulting in the disturbing flare seen in this photo.


A few stars are visible in the sky as dawn invades the sky.


Moon over my tent. There a good two feet (at least) of snow in this area. The flat spot I'm set up on is normally a small pond. (Tash, this is the one you "sat" on when it was barely frozen.)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Concerning your problems with frost on the lens - if you had the camera in the tent with you during the
    night moisture from your breath could have collected on the lens. Here's a link to a discussion of cold weather photography that includes frost:

    http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t9360.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,I am a Chinese college student.I came here by wunderground.com occationly.But I am impressed by the beautiful images of Alaska!I look forward to seeing more splendid photographers continulously!And best wishes for you and your wife!^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are AMAZING!
    ... that's cool that you set your tent up in that same spot.. lol [only you waited till the ice was stronger to go on it...] :-P

    they're all gorgeous!
    miss you guys!
    ~tash

    ReplyDelete